Monday, September 26, 2016

Training 9/26-10/2

9/26- Gold's 5 in 37:45 (7:33 pace).  Good job.  Even pace with splits of 18:55-18:50 with plenty left in the tank at the end.  I still don't think I was at full strength after yesterday's excess citrate.  Until further notice, I'm sticking with 250 plus the Iron detox.  It could be a winner.
Distance=5.0

9/27- AM.  Spain Park Mile in 6:40.  I was on pace for 6:00 through 600 meters then fell apart.  Passed 800 in 3:04 and had nothing left after that so I shut it down and settled for a 3:36 on the back half.  Added a cool.

PM- Lakeshore 5 in 37:24 (7:29 pace).  1st half: 18:39, 2nd half: 18:45.  Solid performance.  This is the 3rd day in a row that I felt much better in the afternoon and evening than the morning.  That tells me that my citrate dose is still just a bit too high.  I will either cut it back from 250 to 200 or take it in divided doses but lean toward the former.
Distance=7.0

9/28- AM- 2 miles at Gold's in 15:24 (7:42 pace).  Struggled again despite taking only 200 mg of citrate.  Another idea is to take the full pill but take it at night.  Splits were 7:36-7:48 and I was working pretty hard at the end.  I'm taking the evening off but if I did run, I'd predict that I'd handle 5 @ 7:30ish again.  Took Curcumin when I got home and it made little difference.

PM- Rested as planned.  Took the Cal citrate at night so this was my 2nd dose.  I may struggle tomorrow but should have it regulated by the weekend.  Ordered the OAT test and I'm on my own for the interpretation.
Distance=2.0

9/29- Canterbury Loop.  Did 3.5 miles in 27:55 (7:58 pace) plus a half mile cool.  I was weakened by taking the double dose of citrate yesterday but still did okay. This was a hilly route and the effort was dialed back until the last half mile.  That tells me that even if my pills are a bit off, I'll still finish a half marathon.  I should get the Iron results tomorrow and my OAT test has been ordered.  The OAT is my best chance to find the "smoking gun" or a value that is WAY OVER THE TOP.
Distance=4.0

9/30- AM- Spain Park Mile in 6:35.  Only marginally better than last time.  This is unacceptable.  Changes need to be made.  We shall see if I am better in the afternoon.

PM- Really not much better.  Lakeshore 2.5 in 19:42 (7:53 pace).  Felt about the same, if not slightly worse than yesterday.  Good news is that I could finish a half mary now without a major meltdown.  Bad news is that it would be north of 1:50 and may not be much under 2:00.  I will try reducing the citrates.  If I do that, I may not be able to tolerate the Curcumin but based on my latest Iron test, I may not need it.  I will be quitting Yasko's Iron detox.
Distance=4.0

10/1- BTC social.  It was basically the Vulcan course plus an add on.  I ended up with 10 miles in 78:55 (7:54 pace).  Felt a good deal better than yesterday thanks to reducing the citrates fro 250 down to 150 and cutting out Yasko's pill.  I had something left in the tank too but decided to save it for race day next Friday.  Even pace with 8 of 10 miles under 8:00 and Mile 10 was my fastest at 7:38.
Distance=10.0

10/2- Lakeshore 5 in 38:24 (7:41 pace).  1st half: 19:05, 2nd half: 19:19.  Overall not bad at all.  No problem recovering from yesterday.  Good start and a good finish but the midsection was weak.  It still feels like my citrate dose is a bit too high.  If I drop it down to half a pill (125 mg), I will NOT be able to take Curcumin but hey, based on my last blood test, I may not have to.
Distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
37 miles on the week and I have passed 1,000 miles on the year.  I'm on pace for about 1,350, which is way off my PR of 2,092 but a big improvement over last year.  NO collapses this week but nothing particularly good either.  If I don't change anything, I predict a time just south of 1:50 at Lake Tahoe.  I should hope to be better than that.


No comments: