Sunday, September 8, 2019

Any options left?

I briefly scanned the past 3 years of this blog and as I've suspected, this is BY FAR MY WORST YEAR EVER at least when it comes to running.  Even as recently as 2 years ago, it was common for me to rally for a few days with tempos in the 21 minute range for 3 miles.  Now, a good day is under 25 minutes.  The Mendoza line, which represents to me, the minimum workout to improve my fitness is 24 minutes flat.  In other words, my bad days are just as bad as they've ever been but I'm not getting any good days or even relatively decent days anymore. 

Let's first take a look first at what is going right:
Thanks to the Maca and TRS, the sensitivity is GONE!  This is true at least when it comes to supplements.  Caffeine is another matter.  Now that the need for TRS has diminished, I can get away with not taking ANY supplements for about 2-3 days and I'll barely even notice.  If I take a pill that moves my chemistry in the wrong direction, yes I'll notice.  However, unlike in the past, the ill-effects are NOT severe unless I take mega doses, as I did with the Thym-Adren last week.  I do believe that if I do everything right, which means no more questionable experiments, no caffeine and no sulfur, I SHOULD NOT relapse again.  Like I've said many times, all I want is a stable cocktail with at least decent energy every day.  I may very well have achieved part 1 but not part 2. 

Expected Level of Performance:
About 5 years ago to this day, I set my last PR, which was a 5K in 19:09.  This was 4 seconds better than I managed in high school.  Now that I am pushing 40, it is too much to ask to be able to maintain that level.  Even a sub-20 would be a tall order.  BUT even with a somewhat diminished fitness level, I really should have no trouble getting below 21:00 unless it's very hilly course and/or tough weather conditions.  I'm not even close to that nor do I feel anywhere near as well I did on my symptom-free days.  That's a big reason why I've upped my caffeine consumption.  I often just want a small boost even though it's temporary.  That's stopped as of 2 days ago.  I believe I've also exhausted the market on supplements so this could be as good as it gets.  How much can I improve with steady training and no relapses?  I'm really not sure.  I'm hoping to make it at least 30 days without one.  That will give me a good idea. 

Beau's Lines:
For the last 3-4 years, I've had horizontal ridges up and down the center of my thumb nail.  All the other nails look okay.  Everything that I have read suggests that this is a sign of a systemic illness.  I really thought that they would go away after several months on the TRS but that is simply not happening.  I have NO DOUBT that my overall health DID benefit from the TRS but it will not be enough to reach even my modest goals. According to Chinese medicine, the thumbnails represent the neck and mouth.  I'm betting that in all probability, I am suffering from a systemic illness but it is contained to the neck or mouth.  I do have a cyst on my upper back but since it's soft, I'm not worried about it.  A hard lump could be cancer but I'm virtually certain that is not the case. 

Best Plan of Attack:
I'm afraid that I will have to see a conventional doctor.  It is possible that I will improve from being off caffeine and it's possible that the Beau's Lines will grow out.  I'm doing the hard mode, which is water only for 30 days.  After that point, I should both see and feel changes IF it's working.  I may even be willing to give it 60 days.  I've tried this before but never stuck with it because of the relapses, which occurred because of the toxic metals.  If I never used caffeine regularly, I don't think it would have made much difference.  My good days may have been better but the relapses would come just as frequently.  My race calendar is empty from November-March so I do have the option of taking 6-8 weeks off in hopes of a reset.  That may not be a bad idea. 

Testing and Supplements:
My best guess is a problem with the pituitary gland.  I am willing to try one last supplement, which is a pituitary glandular.  After that, I'm DONE with the experiments once and for all!  I can't predict the results but I do know that if I react badly to it, my system is likely over-active.  I do want to test my thyroid and Growth Hormone through Request a Test before I see the doc.  Would I ever consider taking substances banned by anti-doping agencies such as Testosterone or HGH?  If I am using only a small dose to correct a legitimate deficiency, I see nothing unethical about it.  I'd test regularly to make sure I'm not taking too much.  I'm not going to win anything major except maybe a local age group award.  Doses to enhance performance when my baseline level is already normal?  That's another matter and my answer is HELL NO!

Possible Treatments:
If the caffeine abstinence fails to achieve my goals, I'm still planning to stick with it.  I might have an occasional beer, tea or lemonade after the 30-60 days but no Coke or Red Bull.  That stuff is not good for me even if I don't feel any immediate ill-effects.  I'll be up front with the doctor that I will NOT accept a diagnosis of depression or middle age.  If my pituitary function is low, the treatment is pretty simple and I can probably avoid any drugs.  I'll take the glandular or HGH/testosterone.  Unfortunately, my gut feeling is that it is more likely to be high than low.  I've been told that I look taller and have put on a fair bit of weight.   In that case, the above treatments will actually make things WORSE!  I will have to either manage it by taking a prescription drug every day or have surgery to remove a growth that is the cause of it.  Fortunately, even if I do need surgery, it will not be life-threatening if left untreated.  My energy will simply go lower every year.  I want to be CRYSTAL CLEAR on one point here.  A need for surgery is NOT the worst case scenario.  Being UNDIAGNOSED when something is clearly wrong is! 

Dental Implant:
I'm now leaning against having it removed and replaced.  I contacted the Atlanta office and explained my situation via e-mail and got no response. Although I was in rough shape after I got the implant, I did have a bit of a resurgence the next year and did not really fall apart until about 18 months after I got the implant.   I also ordered a hair test kit, which test Titanium and it has not arrived.  Seeing the doctor is my best bet.  If I get the implant replaced, it will cost me $2,000-3,000 with no guarantee of improvement.  I will only pursue this path if I do go undiagnosed by the doctor.

No comments: