Thursday, September 26, 2019

Northern New England/Canada Trip Plan

Only 2 weeks out and I sure hope I can get some half decent workouts in by then.  These last 2 months have been my worst ever training wise and otherwise.  Here is the plan:

My original race was Mount Desert Island in Maine.  I waited too long to sign up and now it's sold out.  That's okay.  I have a family commitment the weekend after the original race so that would be too much travel within a short time frame.  The new race is simply called the New England half marathon in Concord, New Hampshire on October 13.  If I can finish, it will be state #44.  It's important to finish this challenge as soon as possible because I have a feeling that my days as a runner could be numbered.  I've just got to hold on until November 2021.

10/11- Take an afternoon flight on a Friday. I get in late but that's okay.  I fly from Birmingham to Manchester, NH.  I'm paying a little more but it's worth it in order to avoid the Boston traffic or having to spend a night in Atlanta. If I wait until the next day and there is a delay or cancellation, I miss the race.

10/12- Sleep in as long as I want.  I'll pick up my packet and probably go to the coast, which is only an hour away.  It will be much too cold for a swim but I still should enjoy that.  I may even cross into Maine just for the sake of doing it.  I could also do some driving in the White Mountains near Mt. Washington.  Going to the peak itself is doubtful as the weather is notoriously bad.  Foliage ought to be near peak by this date.  UPDATE: I'll likely stick to the coast this day.  There is a scenic road that runs along the coast from the Massachusetts border to Maine.

10/13- Race day.  Head north toward Canada.  I figure it will be too hard to reach Ottawa (6.5 hours) and I'm leery about driving in a strange Canadian city in the dark.  Instead I'll stay in either Burlington, Vermont or Plattsburgh, New York on the other side of the lake.  The scenery is very nice.  On a clear day, you can see the Adirondacks.   UPDATE: The plan is to stop in Burlington but spend the night in Plattsburgh. 

10/14- Tour Ottawa.  I definitely want to see the Parliament and the Canadian History museum.  The latter is actually across the river in Quebec.  Bonjour y'all!    I hope to catch up with an old college friend who now lives there.

10/15-Train from Ottawa to Montreal.  I've heard that driving in Montreal is a nightmare and the signage is all in French with many one way streets.  Add to that, my Garmin won't work in Canada.  It's inconvenient but probably a smart call.  I want to see Mount Royal Park and the underground city.  UPDATE: I think I'll be okay driving to Montreal.  My hotel is less than 1 kilometer from the Interstate with no turns according to Google maps.

10/16- Leave Montreal and go back to Manchester for the flight home early next morning.  It will be scenic ride through the White Mountains and the lake country. 

No comments: